Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Under Pressure

Wow! It’s been a long time since I posted a blog entry… way too long.

There are just so many excuses I could toss up… you know, the whole “give me a break, I’m a full-time working mother of 2 young children who’s trying to get her first novel published while finishing the second book in her trilogy but getting sidetracked by a new, totally unrelated Middle Grade novel, while juggling swimming lessons, gymnastics, and soccer schedules.”

Never mind, maybe I won’t finish this - the laundry just buzzed and the oven just dinged… seriously, I need a nap.

Anyway, I could give you those excuses, but they’d be lies.

While I do find it hard to write during the week, the real reason I haven’t posted a blog entry is that I’m worried about sounding stupid and not having anything of value to say. I think I’m just trying too hard to be prolific - to put some idea into the world that will change a person’s perspective or impact them in ways they weren’t anticipating. I’ve read lots of blogs, those of friends, authors, politicians, you name it… they’re everywhere. And every day they put their thoughts into the world, making it look so easy and sounding so smart. It’s intimidating… and that’s saying something considering I’m not typically one to be intimidated (challenges usually just bring out my Type-A, over achiever instinct).

But then I was walking, well limping due to my recent knee surgery, around Costco today and I realized something; I may not be the smartest person in the world, but I’m certainly not the dumbest (even though, yes, I did buy a case of diet supplemental drinks, then placed a cinnamon-sugar Churro right on top. And no, I don’t feel guilty about this… at least not super guilty).

Then I filled my SUV, which now resembled a low rider on the strip, put my iPod on random, opened the sunroof, and cranked the volume. As I drove out of the parking lot, the first song came on: Under Pressure by Queen and David Bowie. That’s when it hit me… I’m putting way too much pressure on myself.

I have something to say… and it’s time to start saying it.

So today I made myself a promise… I’m going to write at least one blog entry a week – and work up from there. The posts may not be culturally relevant, emotionally impactful, prolific, or even funny. Heck, they may not even make sense depending on when I write them. But I might as well start talking. I mean, who knows? Maybe they’ll be worthy of deep, thoughtful conversations. But I’m guessing more often than not, they’ll be random thoughts on things that make me laugh, cry, shout for joy, or simply tilt my head and go ‘hmmm.’

Isn't it awesome - sometimes inspiration comes from the strangest, most random places - like an iPod shuffle… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtrEN-YKLBM

1 comment:

  1. I am jealous of the churro that you got. Good luck on the blog entry each week. I will be here to check them out. Can't wait to have lunch together.

    ReplyDelete